The Royal University of Bhutan was launched on 2nd June 2003 to provide tertiary education in Bhutan. The Royal Charter and the Statutes provide the legal instruments for the University.
The overall rationale of the University as set out in the Royal Charter and Statutes is the "dissemination of knowledge and the advancement of learning through a balanced, well regulated and sound tertiary education system for the economic and cultural development of the Kingdom of Bhutan and to promote the cultural enrichment, personal development and well being of our people."
The specific objectives of the University are:
- to develope and provide programmes of study at tertiary education level, of relevance and good quality which will fulfill the needs of the country for an educated and skilled population, and
- to promote and conduct research, to contribute to the creation of knowledge in an international context and to promote the transfer of knowledge of relevance to Bhutan.
(Royal Charter and the Statutes of the Royal University of Bhutan 2003:3)
RUB Vision, Mission and Core Values
An internationally recognized university steeped in GNH values
- To provide programmes of study at tertiary education level, of relevance and good quality which will fulfill the needs of the country for an educated, skilled and humane population;
- To promote and conduct research to contribute to the creation of knowledge of relevance to Bhutan, and
- To provide training and professional services for the enhancement of knowledge, capacity building and community development.
- Love for learning
- Compassion and fairness
- Creativity and innovation
- Community services
- Respect for diversity of views
- Respect for the environment