Unlike elsewhere, the University in close collaboration with the Department of Immigration, Ministry of Home and Cultural Affairs, Royal Government of Bhutan, facilitates visa for staff and students visiting RUB.
Anyone visiting Bhutan has to process the visa prior to their travel to Bhutan and the visa will be processed by the focal person of the College one is visiting at RUB or at the Office of the Vice Chancellor, either in the Department of Research and External Relations (DRER) for short visits, and at the Registry Department, if the external staff is recruited by the University on a contract basis to teach at the University.
When to apply
It is recommended that all international students aspiring to study in Bhutan submit complete documentation for the visa process, at least 45 working days prior to the departure for Bhutan to meet the requirements of the Department of Immigration, Ministry of Home and Cultural Affairs, Royal Government of Bhutan.
Academic sessions for full-time programmes begin from July-December, and therefore students applying to study as a full-time student are recommended to follow the timelines and programmes available by emailing the College or the International Relations office of RUB, to guide you to ensure that the admission criteria relating to English language proficiency, and admission requirements of the programme are met.
The website here contains all the information you need to process the visa application to RUB:
Forms for Visa
Staff Visa for visiting the Royal University of Bhutan
- Documentation for Staff Visa for less than 30 days
- Documentation for Staff Visa for more than 30 days
Student Visa for visiting the Royal University of Bhutan
- Documentation for Student Visa for Short-Term Study Abroad
- Documentation for Student Visa for Semester Abroad
- Documentation for Student Visa for Research
- Documentation for Student Visa as Full-Time Student
- Visa Application Form *for both staff and student visa
- Declaration of Compliance Form *for student visa only
- Means of Subsistence Form *for student visa only
- Statement of Purpose *for student visa only
For reference to Guidelines to International Staff and Students visiting the Royal University of Bhutan click here
Note* As the Visa requirements keep changing, the person processing visa to visit the Royal University of Bhutan is asked to connect with the focal person processing it from within Bhutan for relevant and timely advice and information.